Obesity has emerged as a significant threat to public health throughout the developed world. Nearly two-thirds of Americans are overweight or obese and this creates numerous health problems, including diabetes, cardiovascular disease, arthritis, and cancer, are associated with obesity. The fact of the matter is that overweight and obese persons are more likely than their normal-weight peers to have a variety of psychiatric disorders. We can help people who are suffering from obesity live a heather and happier life.
Heath Risks Of Obesity
"I am beginning to measure myself in strength, not pounds. Sometimes in smiles.
- Laurie Halse Anderson
Helpful Links For Obesity
- Academy for Eating Disorders (AED) - A multidisciplinary professional organization that focuses on Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia Nervosa, Binge Eating Disorder and related disorders. Also sponsors a newsletter and a conference.
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics - Formerly the American Dietetic Association, offers information about eating disorders, including an extensive nutrition reading list and a professional directory that allows visitors to search for Dietitians specializing in eating disorders.
- Binge Eating Disorder Association (BEDA) - The Binge Eating Disorder Association (BEDA) is the national organization focusing on increased prevention, diagnosis, and treatment for Binge Eating Disorder.
- Diabulimia Helpline - Diabulimia Helpline is the world's first non-profit organization working to help those afflicted by diabulimia, and raise awareness of this deadly disease.
- Eating Disorders Coalition for Research, Policy & Action (EDC) - This website offers the opportunity to join advocacy efforts at the federal level.
- F.E.A.S.T. - F.E.A.S.T. is an organization of and for parents and caregivers to help loved ones recover from eating disorders by providing information and mutual support, promoting evidence-based treatment, and advocating for research and education to reduce the suffering associated with eating disorders.