Academic underachievement often significantly impacts the student's feelings about him/herself and hopes for the future. Professional counseling helps your underachieving child cope with and overcome lowered self-esteem, anxiety, and depression due to academic challenges. Professional counseling can help you get past blaming and feelings of helplessness in assisting your child to achieve better academic results.
Symptoms Of Academic Underachievement
- Failure to complete or turn in homework in a class that does not involve the student's disability.
- Lack of motivation or disinterest in school, along with a tendency to make excuses for school failure, are additional signs.
- Refusal to accept blame or responsibility for his own achievement.
- Daydreaming or socializing too much and making school work the lowest priority indicate underachievement as well.
- Students with falling grades and who take no satisfaction or pride in schoolwork likely suffer from underachievement too.
- The same goes for students who see themselves as having no chance to succeed so behave as if they're already defeated rather than try to perform well.
"Don't let what you can't do stop you from doing what you can do."
- JOHN GOODEN
Helpful Links For Academic Underachievement
- Learning Disabilities Association of America - LDA has provided support to people with learning disabilities, their parents, teachers and other professionals with cutting edge information on learning disabilities.
- National Center For Learning Disabilities - The mission of NCLD is to improve the lives of the 1 in 5 children and adults nationwide with learning and attention issues—by empowering parents and young adults, transforming schools and advocating for equal rights and opportunities.
- Council for Exceptional Children - The Council for Exceptional Children provides information and resources about Special Education.
We provide great information and resources to help meet your needs.
What To Expect
Great for first time patients and parents.
Save time by filling out forms in advance
Answers to question or concerns you may have.